Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Too much water

Yesterday as I was unpacking, I noticed what I thought was a wet spot where Liam had spilled some water. But it came back after I dried it. Then it got bigger. By the evening we were calling our landlord about a suspected water leak. I wasn't worried.

This morning it was still there, plus a funny smell. The landlord sent over his handyman, who said it could either be easy, or terrible. He checked the bathrooms, the sink, the fridge, the swamp cooler... all were fine. So it pointed to a burst water pipe under the concrete slab. THAT would be the terrible one. He said he couldn't fix, so I waited several hours for the Roto Rooter guy to come.

MEANWHILE, Liam was being clingly and refusing to eat, John was whining about everything, I was trying to unpack my kitchen, the smell around the leak was growing, and I was hot, sweaty, and tired. I imagined them chopping the concrete under my hallway into pieces while I had to repack everything I had just unpacked and find somewhere else to live. The hole got big enough to necessitate new carpet, tile, walls...

And then the Roto Rooter man finally came, 3.5 hours late. He found even more water -- in John's room, seeping up over the kitchen tile... After drilling some holes through the concrete below the carpet, he determined the leak was not nearly so dire as I had been imagining. It was from the fridge after all.

I hope to see no more water on my floor in the next week!!

Now that was just ONE of the exciting incidents that have happened within a week. The other involves water, too. The Provo River -- it contains more water than my floor did today, but at least that water is supposed to be there.

2 comments:

  1. Landlord's problem. Remove that one from your list.

    You could demand that they give you some money back from your deposit since the home wasn't move-in ready! Or maybe that only works for apartments...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just plant some grass on it since you don't have any outside. Although, then you might have to make a hole in the ceiling so that it would grow, and that's probably as bad as a hole in the floor. I realize these posts are like a month old now, I wonder what fun your house is having these days!

    ReplyDelete