Sunday, January 4, 2009

John's Creative Writing

When you reach Junior High, they call it "Creative Writing" when you write something that requires imagination -- a short story or other work of fiction. I think that at the age of four, "Creative Writing" describes your way of writing, spelling, and diction.

The weekend after we returned from Christmas vacation (posts pending), Jeremy spent the larger part of his first Saturday home cleaning up after (and preventing future occurrences of) a specific unwanted incident. This incident was so important to John, that he decided to write about it:



We'll take you through this in phases. First -- through the Urim and Thummim -- I've translated the letters from "reformed John-ian" into the modern alphabet:

"UMISSECKITOORHUS"

Following the style of ancient Hebrew, John avoids spaces in his writing at present. In order to aid in your translation, I've added spaces.

"U MIS SECK ITO OR HUS"

Finally, I've added the missing letters (and removed the wrong ones). Knowing what he was trying to write, it turns out that he did a really good job.

"A MICE SNEAKED INTO OUR HOUSE"

(P.S., We had two bits of good fortune with relation to this event: First, we always clean things up quite well before leaving town, so there was little for the mouse to eat (although it did have a good time eating the flour from a rolling-pin cover). Second, it was caught in short order and disposed of quickly.)

2 comments:

  1. I love it when Derek writes notes for us to decipher. It looks like Derek and John have a similar creative writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Derek take the same liberties with letter orientation? John's letters don't just end up backwards (something I remember doing), but also sideways. He calls the sideways ones "lazy" (because they're sleeping).

    ReplyDelete