Thursday, January 14, 2010

Back again after a supreme hiatus

You thought I had given up on this blog. So did I! But we've gotten past the first nine months of the baby's life and I'm getting enough sleep!

A couple days ago I made some black bean soup that was so good! This isn't a detailed recipe, just a list of the ingredients:

black beans, cooked from dry by Jer
lots of frozen corn
dried minced onion (had no fresh)
green pepper
fresh tomato
some water
chicken bouillon
frozen cilantro (Mmm. When I buy a bunch of cilantro, I chop it up and put it in a gallon freezer bag with some water. I let it freeze flat so I can break chunks off as needed.)
garlic powder (contemplated the garlic clove... too lazy)
whole cumin seeds, crushed a bit with back of spoon

It simmered a while. Then we each seasoned it to our liking with salsa and hot sauce at the table. Jer added shredded cheese. The baby even liked it (although I took some out for him before adding the chicken bouillon so he wouldn't get the salt and MSG).

I was too tired to make cornbread to go with it, but luckily we had tortilla chips, and together it was delicious! Leftovers the next day were just as good.

1 comment: